Republicans SUBPOENA two former White House officials – including a top Biden campaign aide – in probe into censoring of ‘misinformation’ during COVID: New report also claims collusion with YouTube

  • Robert Flaherty, a former White House digital strategist and now Biden’s deputy campaign manager, received a subpoena from Jim Jordan.
  • Andrew Slavitt, a former senior adviser to the Biden administration’s pandemic response team, was also subpoenaed.

Republicans call on two former White House officials to talk about social media censorship.

Robert Flaherty, a former White House digital strategist who is now Biden’s deputy campaign manager, and Andrew Slavitt, a former senior adviser to the Biden administration’s pandemic response team, received a subpoena from House Judiciary Chairman Jim Jordan.

Flaherty is at the center of a case in which the Biden administration is accused of pressuring social media companies to remove posts they deem “misinformation.”

In September, the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans said the White House, Surgeon General, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and FBI cannot “force” social media platforms to remove posts the government doesn’t like.

Andrew Slavitt, former senior adviser to the Biden administration's pandemic response team

Robert Flaherty, a former White House digital strategist and now Biden's deputy campaign manager.

Republicans call on two former White House officials to talk about social media censorship

Robert Flaherty, a former White House digital strategist who is now Biden's deputy campaign manager, and Andrew Slavitt, a former senior adviser to the Biden administration's pandemic response team, received a subpoena from House Judiciary Chairman Jim Jordan.

Robert Flaherty, a former White House digital strategist who is now Biden’s deputy campaign manager, and Andrew Slavitt, a former senior adviser to the Biden administration’s pandemic response team, received a subpoena from House Judiciary Chairman Jim Jordan.

It concluded that since at least early 2021, “a group of federal officials has been in regular contact with nearly every major U.S. social media company regarding the spread of ‘misinformation’ on their platforms.”

The judges found those platforms included Facebook, Twitter (now known as X), YouTube and Google, which were bombarded with government requests to remove content.

At one point, a White House official ordered the unnamed platform to remove the post “as soon as possible” and instructed it to “monitor tweets related to the same genre,” according to the documents.

Topics covered in the lawsuit included COVID-19 vaccines, the Wuhan lab leak theory, the FBI’s handling of Hunter Biden’s laptop and allegations of election fraud.

But last month, the Supreme Court temporarily blocked a lower court ruling that would have limited the Biden administration’s ability to communicate with social media companies.

He agreed to hear the government’s appeal in full at some point during its term.

Jordan asked Flaherty and Slavitt to perform in the summer, but they refused. Now, given the severity of the subpoena, there is even more pressure on the couple to agree.

In his letter, the chairman said he believed Flaherty and Slavitt played a “central role” in communicating the Biden White House’s censorship efforts to social media companies, “including White House demands to censor truthful information, memes, satire, and other protected the constitution of the thing.” forms of expression.”

The subpoenas ended a year after so-called “Twitter files” were released revealing the companies’ censorship policies before Elon Musk took office.

This led to congressional hearings in which Jordan brought Matt Taibbi and Michael Shellenberger into the case, who were given access to the files. Taibbi testifies again at a second hearing in the censorship case on Thursday.

“To develop effective legislation, such as the possible adoption of new legislative restrictions on the ability of the executive branch to work with social media platforms and other companies to limit the spread of content and deplatform users, the Committee must first understand the nature of this collusion and coercion,” the letters to Flaherty and Slavitt.

Documents obtained by the Judiciary Committee showed that Flaherty worked closely with Google-owned YouTube to remove information that could fuel vaccine skepticism.

Flaherty wrote by email: first obtained by Fox Businessto Google team members in April 2021 that he wanted to “get the word out… about the work you’re doing to combat vaccine hesitancy as well as combat vaccine misinformation.”

Flaherty inquired about trends around Covid misinformation on the site and suggested that White House-approved Covid experts partner with Youtube to create content.

Google noted after meeting with Flaherty that it was “particularly passionate about our decision-making around edge content,” meaning content that doesn’t violate community guidelines but does touch on the line.